Excavation work for Cornell’s Klarman Hall Project between the wings of Goldwin Smith Hall has been making its way into bedrock, as Maine Drilling and Blasting has removed stone in the northern and southern blast zones. The foundation footings follow-up after the rock blasting, and it looks as if Welliver has constructed a series of rebar bends to form the reinforcement for some of the southern footings below. It’s been interesting getting a glimpse of the outside wall of Goldwin Smith Hall’s foundation: just a combination of stone, brick, and mortar, probably well over 2 feet thick. The building was originally constructed in 1892, around the time the two-way telegraph was invented to put things into perspective.
The slate and metal re-roofing of Goldwin Smith Hall seems to have made its way to the central wing as well: